Monday, July 27, 2009

Weekend wrap up

I love going out to my friends' home out in Hennepin, IL because it automatically equals relaxation for me. Just thinking about it makes me sleepy in a good way. And every time I'm out there, I wake up in the exact same position that I fall asleep in. Restful.
This weekend was no different, except it involved visiting the Quad Cities: Davenport and Bettendorf, IA, and Moline and Rock Island, IL.
Who knew the John Deere headquarters in Moline is incredible? Designed by Eero Saarinen, pictures can't explain how breathtaking the campus is. Totally worth the trip out to nowhere to go visit and walk the grounds.
The floor pattern on one of the tractors:
And I learned that John Deere apparently jumped on the bike craze too, back in the day. Naturally, only a limited edition of bikes were produced:

The Figge Art Museum in Davenport is a beautiful building to visit as well— we caught a great exhibition from the Walker Art Center. And I attended my first minor league ball game.
And one of the best highlights, is biking about 20 miles in the Middle-of-Nowhere, IL. Beautiful farmhouses, corn fields, obstacles of hissing geese, water lilies, wildflowers, and no one on the bike path but you and your friends… I couldn't ask for anything more this weekend.
currently listening to: Big Star